It’s the time of year when we reflect on all that we have to be thankful for. I had the opportunity this weekend to take part in the Compassion Experience and it reminded me just how unbelievably blessed we are. I wish that I could sit at the Thanksgiving table with our two sponsor children from Africa and share a meal with them. While that is not possible right now, I can still do everything in my power to show them that the Lord is good.
I thought we could use a little reminder of that in our home this season, so I created this easy Scripture plate!
- Dollar store plates
- Sharpie Markers (black and multiple fall colors)
- Printout of your phrase or verse
1) Cut out each word of your phrase or verse.
2) Place your words around the plate. I suggest taping each piece at the top to keep it from moving around. Just make sure your tape is not going over any of the letters.
3) Lift up the paper and scribble on the back side of the paper with a pencil. Make sure the word is completely covered with the graphite.
4) Now trace over each letter and remove the paper. You should have an outline of your word. You may want to do this one word at a time. Otherwise, you could smear the letters as you move around the plate.
5) Fill in the words with your marker. My first attempt was a gold metallic color, but I didn’t think it covered well so I decided to go with black.
6) For the leaves, start by drawing a teardrop shape with the colors of your choice and fill it in completely.
7) Go over each colored area with a black sharpie and add the leaf outline. I drew mine outside of the lines to give it a whimsical look.
8) Finally, place in 350° oven for 30 min. Turn off the oven and allow the plate to cool before removing.
You now have a cute Thanksgiving Scripture plate to display or you can make several and use them as place settings for your family meal.
*Keep in mind that these are not food safe so you will want to use for display only or make sure that you keep the words away from the eating surface!
I really love how it turned out! This was such a simple and inexpensive project. I hope you will be inspired to create this Thanksgiving Scripture plate for yourself. Or maybe you could fill it with your favorite fall baked goods and give it as a gift!
MORE FROM WHAT TREASURES AWAIT: